Monday, July 26, 2010

To Cell or not to Cell?

Last year when I went to Italy, I decided that I absolutely didn’t want to be attached to a phone.  I wanted to get away from it all and so I did.  And it was a great decision!  However I didn’t stop to think about needing a phone to contact people while I was there.  I was meeting up with people and they said what is your phone number and I didn't have one, and finding a payphone that works is now, universally impossible.  I had a friend who visited me this fall from Europe and he bought a monthly cell phone when he got here for $30 a month with unlimited texting and U.S calls.  I thought that is a great idea!

This year I have decided to buy a phone when I get there for any local calls to friends or restaurants or anything else I need a phone for.  You can decide to rent through companies like Travel Cell, but they tend to have pricey per minute charges.  Apparently they sell phones at most Tobacco Stores or magazine stands in Europe as well as the airport.  Buy a calling card for any international calls you might need to make while there.  If you are in need of making or getting a lot of international calls then your own cell is probably the best bet.  But be aware that AT&T & T-Mobile are the only 2 companies that are truly compatible with European Phone Technology & calls from your US cell phone can cost you a bundle even with your International package.  I will report back about my experience buying the Italian cell phone after my trip to Italy in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment