Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Greenlight Bookstore

Reading is one of my favorite pastimes.  I could spend hours getting lost in a bookstore and it sometimes makes me sad to think that we are moving to a place where you can only download book onto your kindle or ipad.  For me, there is nothing that will replace the way a book feels.  So it always gives me great joy to find a little bookstore, independently owned, like the one I found on my way to the theater the other night, Greenlight Bookstore.  I was on my way to see Geoffrey Rush in "Diary of a Madman" (which I will tell you about tomorrow), and I walked passed and knew that I had to go inside.


After getting home I went to their website and found that it also has a great story.   The two women who started it, Rebecca and Jessica,  had spent a combined 26 years in bookstores and publishing and both knew they wanted to spend the rest of their lives working with books.  In 2007 Jessica entered the Brooklyn Business Library's Power Up! business plan competition, and in January 2008 her bookstore business plan was awarded the grand prize of $15,000.  At the same time the Fort Greene Association was trying to build up business in the area and commissioned a survey in which they discovered that a bookstore was one of the things that residents were lacking but really wanted.  They read Jessica's business plan and contacted her to see if she would be interested in putting her bookstore in Fort Greene.  She and Rebecca decided that it would be a perfect place for a bookstore.  They got an overwhelming response from the community and together with individuals, community groups and local business loans they were able to open this fantastic bookstore.  


Greenlight Bookstore has a table dedicated entirely to Brooklyn writers, which was really cool.  The layout in the store is beautiful.  It has a cozy, warm feeling to it and the staff is friendly and very helpful.  It reminds me of being in a small town bookstore, but in Brooklyn.  They also offer story time for kids and reading groups.  I love being able to support the small bookstore and this one is really great.  Warning:  You might just spend hours here, so make sure to leave yourself some time.


Greenlight Bookstore is open daily from 10am - 10pm
686 Fulton Street (at South Portland)
718-246-0200

No comments:

Post a Comment