Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Taberna

I just went to Taberna for the first time.  I have been meaning to go forever.  It is a block from my house and why I have put off going I'm not sure.  The food was fantastic, the atmosphere cozy and inviting and the drinks sublime.  Taberna is all Spanish and mostly tapas (which is traditional in Spain) though there are a few entrees.  The chef, Jennifer Cole, spent a dozen years cooking in Spain and has brought her experience to this fantastic upper west side spot.

The first thing we ordered was a glass of wine and the Rose Cava Sangria.  My friend ordered the Rose Cava Sangria and I wished I had ordered it!  It was the most fantastic sangria I have ever had.  It was a mixture of Rose Cava (obviously) triple sec, brandy and fresh fruit.  Wow!  It was delicious.  It is going to be my new favorite spot this summer.  They have happy hour pitchers of sangria for $13 and seating outside.  Give me one reason not to be a regular there this summer.

For food we started with the croquettes served with hummus for dipping that were great.  I had the seared Angus Steak and the garlic shrimp that were amazing.

Next we had the Baked Goat Cheese with rosemary and honey.  I couldn't help myself.  I ate every last bite.  We ended the evening with the Mackerel with tomato.

It was almost a cerviche; really delicious.   One of my favorite things about eating in Spain was the size of the dish.  Everything is small plates, they bring them out one at a time (like they do at Taberna) and you don't over eat but instead get to taste a lot of different things.  This is the experience you will get at Taberna.  Small and cozy but a real gem.

Taberna
429 Amsterdam between 80th and 81st
917-388-3500

No comments:

Post a Comment