Monday, March 14, 2011

Top of the Rock


I was bartending over the weekend and there were some people in from out of town sitting at my bar.  The woman asked, "If there was one thing you would tell us not to miss while we were here, what would it be?"  I thought about that for a bit.  There are so many great restaurants and museums and theater, but I think the one place I would take someone to if they had never been here before would be Top of the Rock at night.

I went there for the first time a couple of years ago when a friend was in from Italy.  I had always wanted to go, but I guess because I live here it was one of those things I had never gotten around to doing.

One of things that struck me is how beautiful the skyline of New York is.  I have traveled to many places in the last year or so and still I think New York has one of the most striking skylines.  I live here but I don’t get to look at it from somewhere that has a spectacular view of it everyday.  It really almost takes your breath away.  I think the reason that I love Top of the Rock at night as opposed to during the day, is because you get to see it in all it's glory with everything all lit up.  I stood there and thought, I live in one of the most incredible cities of the world.  Every song you could every think of about New York runs through your mind and you feel like every image that you might have had about New York is staring you right in the face.  It is all there at eye level and my response after having lived here for over 15 years was WOW!  So my thought in today’s blog for all you out of towners or even for you folks who live here go to the Top of the Rock.  See the Chrysler Building, the Empire State Building and Broadway from above.  It will amaze you everytime.

Leave a comment and tell us your "don't miss this while in NYC" thing to do.  

Open Daily from 8am to Midnight - last elevator up at 11pm
Tickets are $22 (discounts available for children, students and seniors)
Entrance is on 50th between 5th and 6th

No comments:

Post a Comment