Monday, September 27, 2010

Capri....more of a hike than you think!

When going to Capri I recommend two things:  wear sneakers & definitely go on a hike.  Capri has some of the most breathtaking views you will ever see.  Of course you will have climbed up and down some unbelievable paths to see them.   

Literally when I say you are climbing a mountain that is what you are doing.  Skye & I did it last year and she wore flip-flops.  I could see her calves’ spasming by the end of our hike and she is in good shape!  I was really glad I had worn sneakers.  Fodor’s guide (5th edition) has a remarkable hike that is listed in their Naples & the Amalfi Coast guide-book.  It is pretty explicit in its directions and the walk itself was well worth the time.  It took us 5 hours to do, but the views are unprecedented.   I would highly recommend following the Fodor's hike.   Another tip for the hike:  take water and a sandwich.  There are a couple of places in Capri town where you can buy lunch and drinks.  Once you get on the path, there isn’t anything around.  We had bought lunch before we got started and boy was I glad we did.  It was great to be able to stop and eat something half way.  You really work up an appetite!


Some other great hiking tips:
There is another book out there that I was unable to get.  The latest edition hadn’t come out yet and the last published was no longer available.  It is called the Sunflower guides.  I have seen it listed in several sites and guidebooks and was disappointed that I was unable to get it.  It apparently also has a guide to the “Walk of the Gods” that goes along the Amalfi Coast from Positano to Minori that is meant to be unbelievably beautiful.  (Hence the name “Walk of the Gods”)  We had it planned to do it this year, but a huge storm came in.... and lasted three days.  Supposedly the hike is a little difficult at certain points, and not one that you want to do when it is slippery or rainy, so we didn’t get to go.   However, I am going to get the next edition of the Sunflower guide for when I do go back.  Rumor has it, the Sunflower guide is available for great scenic walks and the Amalfi Coast is an ideal place for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment