Friday, October 8, 2010

Great Murano glass jewelry and other shopping tips


If you go to Venice, you are probably going to want to buy some murano glass of some sort and maybe even some of the paper they are famous for.  Whether it is a vase or a ring or a necklace, I like to have something that is different.   Most of the stores and stalls in the Rialto Market have very touristy looking stuff, but we found several shops once we left the Rialto that had some beautiful stuff.

La Nuova Cortesia –  Skye and I both bought several pieces of really unique jewelry here.  The ring she bought is stunning and I have a necklace and a ring that have earned me several great comments.  They are not particularly expensive but if you like the look of murano glass jewelry, you will get something that will really stand out in a crowd.
San Marco 3721.  41-2410915

La Ricerca.  Venice is known for making paper, in particular, marbleized paper.  I settled on some nice notepaper from La Ricerca.  They had a great selection of beautiful paper, not over priced and had friendly, helpful employees.  They even wrapped it in a lovely marbleized wrapping paper.   What more could you ask for? 
Ponte delle Ostreghe 2431.  Tel:  041-5212606


Viziovirtu:  A fantastic chocolate boutique.   I fully admit having an incredible weakness for chocolate, especially good chocolate.  This place took a little bit to find, but it was absolutely worth it.  Viziovirtu has eclectic and exotic flavors, as well as some really good traditional chocolate.   They even have gelato that is heavenly.  (Of course I got the dark chocolate gelato.  Is there another option when you are at a chocolate store?) 

I picked up several individual pieces and creams and a couple of bars (some were gifts) and let me tell you, it was amazing!  The violet with dark chocolate and the coconut cream were my favorite.  If you like chocolate at all, you should go and sample a few.  Besides, chocolate is good for you.  You might just end up thanking me for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment