Monday, October 4, 2010

Packing lists: The do's and don'ts

I am one of those people who functions well with a list.  Though my friends laugh at my weekly schedules, (I type them up and do an hourly list when I am insanely busy) they truly help me get everything done.  The same is true of packing.  It helps you remember things you otherwise would have forgotten as well as leave behind the things you don’t need.  If I had made, and paid attention to this list while packing for Italy, I might have avoided over-packing.  Alas, that was not the case.


Don't Forget Your........

  1. Undies (of course) 
  2. Socks – if it is summer and you wear sandals a lot, then bring one or two pair
  3. Skirts or pants (bring three, four if you must – then mix and match with tops)
  4. Tops (bring four or five – mix and match)
  5. Dress Clothes – bring one outfit only if you really think you might need it
  6. Bathing Suit (for Summer)
  7. Hat & Gloves (for winter)
  8. Shoes:  Bring no more than 4 pair (and that is alot).  That includes sneakers for hikes or working out and flip-flops in the summer.
  9. Travel Alarm clock – if you don’t have a cell phone and you are not staying in a hotel, they come in handy
  10. Toiletries – try to get travel sizes or buy travel containers.  It takes up far less room.
  11. Travel book – don’t pack more than 1 for each city/area.  Remember they are really heavy when you carry multiples!  Cross reference at home and write excess down in a small notebook.  Moleskine has a couple of great thin books that fit easily in your purse or pocket.  Moleskine City Books (include street and subway maps), or just a plain pocket notebook
  12. A good book for the plane.  I never read as much on vacation as I do at home.  I always think I will and in the end I don’t.  1 book is sufficient for the plane and trip.  Or if you really are an avid reader, buy the Kindle or Ipad.  
  13. Camera & accessories (battery charger, extra memory cards, lenses, & film if you are old fashioned)  If traveling abroad make sure you have you adapters for your chargers.
  14. Prescriptions
  15. Credit Cards
  16. Xerox copy of your passport.  (if you lose it, it is easier to replace if you  have a copy)

What not to pack:
  1. If you have used the words, “Just in Case”, “I might need this”, “What if?” then you ABSOLUTELY should not pack it.  Put it back!!  I can almost guarantee you will not wear/use it.  If you have forgotten something important, there will be a store where you can buy it.   What better reason to go shopping!
  2. Remember Less is more!!!!  Leave room to buy stuff.  You will be happier in the end and you will not run the risk of getting charged for a heavy bag.  I just had to unpack my suitcase in Italy because they wanted to charge me the flat rate of 150 Euros for a bag that was 4lbs over weight.  In Europe they are really sticking it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment