Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gaslight in Boston is a winner!

If you want to feel as though you have just arrived in the best French bistro in Paris with the most charming atmosphere, then Gaslight in the South End is for you.  It also happens to be where the opening scene of “Knight and Day” with Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise is shot.  Start off by going to the bar and enjoying one of the magnificent cocktails that are as lively as the canary yellow dress Cameron Diaz wore. 


I had the Pierrot (Vodka, Aperol, St. Germain, & Lemon Juice, served in a martini glass).  I feel like it just might be the new Cosmo.  


Sadly, I forgot my camera, so there is no photographic representation of the amazing meal I enjoyed.  However, I have managed to get some pictures from the restaurant so you will get a good idea of how amazing the food looks.  Chris Robins is the chef there and I can tell you from having worked at and eaten at some of the top restaurants in New York City, he is cream of the crop.  Top Chef or Iron Chef or whatever other chef shows there are need to have him on it!


For starters, I am truly obsessed with the French onion soup.  It is the BEST French onion soup I ever had.  I am still kind of dreaming about it and will certainly go back for more next time I am in Boston.  I will assume that part of why it is so good is because it is prepared with braised beef short ribs and truffles.  It was RIDICULOUS!  After that I had some of the freshest seared scallops I can remember having since I was in Cape Cod last summer. 


 I assume they were wild because they melted in my mouth and had that fresh off the boat taste.  It was served with a celery root puree, mushrooms and truffle vinaigrette.  I was between that and the Organic Salmon, but opted to go for something I don’t normally eat.  (The server told me that the salmon they serve is the only organic salmon in the world.  It comes from Scotland where they have farm-raised fish that is fed wild shrimp – which is what they eat – there is no dye added, they are merely recreating the wild atmosphere without tampering with the fish, so therefore it is organic.  Who knew?).  My friend had the cassoulet that was so good it would have had Julia Childs begging for the recipe.  We finished the meal with the coconut cake served with mint-simple syrup that was to die for.
I love Paris and French Bistros, but if I can’t be in Paris, it is good to know that I can eat at Gaslight!

No comments:

Post a Comment