Monday, November 29, 2010

Pillars of the Earth

I love history and I love historical fiction.  When I go to Europe I love visiting huge cathedrals and castles built centuries ago.  I now appreciate these beautiful pieces of architecture even more after reading “Pillars of the Earth”, by Ken Follet.  If you like historical fiction you will want to add this to the top of your reading list.  That said, “Pillars of the Earth” is a huge book.  There is no getting around it.  If you are thinking about taking it on vacation you will absolutely want to have a Kindle a Nook or an ipad.  Or check an extra bag because it just might be heavier than your suitcase.   I read all 1100 pages in a week.   I couldn't put it down.  One of my friends asked me if I was carrying around the bible.  But I didn't want to miss any opportunity to read a few pages.

The story takes you back to 1123 where we follow the stories of Philip, prior of Kingsbridge who has the dream of building the greatest Gothic Cathedral of all time, Tom who is the mason who becomes his architect and Lady Aliena, the woman who holds a shameful secret.  This is an epic novel that will follow their lives and hold you spellbound for the duration.  Then when you finish that you can move on to the sequel, “World Without End” which will take you 200 years into the future to this same town of Knightsbridge to see the future of this cathedral and the town’s inhabitants.  If you like historical fiction at all, GO GET THIS BOOK.  Oprah said it first and I have to reiterate, this is an amazing book!  It will not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment