Wednesday, November 10, 2010

To Cell or not to Cell Revisited

As far as cell phones companies go, things are just not the same in Italy as they are here in the states.  This is what I learned when I tried to get a phone in Rome for my 17 day stay in Italy.  In November a friend from Italy visited New York and got a phone for a month that cost him $30.   That included unlimited texting and calls within the US, and I thought I would do the same when I got to Rome.  Well, that was not the case.  I tried several places, most of which didn’t offer monthly plans.   I finally found one store that offered me a phone for 90 Euros but I was going to have to pay for all my calls after 15 minutes and it wasn’t cheap by the minute. 

A friend of mine who travels a lot recommended Travel Cell (a company that rents international cell phones).  I decided that I would find a cheaper way when I got there.   It is not easier or cheaper.  It is close to impossible and I wish I had gotten travel cell.  It is worth the high minute charges if you think you want a phone for local calls if for no other reason than the convenience of having a cell phone.    My friend who used Travel Cell said that they mail you the phone a few days before you leave, the service was great and the company is reliable.  If I decide to get a phone the next time I go to Europe I am not going to try to get a phone there.  I have learned that sometimes going with a sure thing is the best way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment