Monday, November 8, 2010

Guest Blogger! Mom talks cameras

One of the best parts of traveling is making and keeping memories.  Here, the first of my mom's series on cameras and photography.

I was cleaning my office this week, and in the process came across some pictures of my daughters that I hadn't seen in years. Oh, the memories! My brain started squeezing out long-forgotten experiences--times and places and actions that I thought would be stored forever in perfect detail, never far from my conscious mind! But the human brain isn't designed to recall detail, as much as overall impressions and emotional atmosphere. I know that because I just read an article last week about how memories are stored. It rang true--all those wonderful firsts, for example--when exactly did Skye speak her first sentence, or Kyle laugh out loud? I always thought I would remember such times to the minute, but I don't.
 


My father was the family photographer, and it became kind of a joke--there are hundreds of Polaroids of the grandchildren, which at the time we viewed as excessive. He and my mother would return from trips with rolls and rolls of film, which were turned into thousands of slides, over the years. My attitude was benevolent, but not fully appreciative. Now I understand.

        By now the point of this is obvious--our casual snapshots can become the protectors of priceless memories that might otherwise be lost. Trips are over in a flash, new experiences crammed into a few days or weeks, but they can be extended almost indefinitely by the pictures that record them.

        So, is there a best way to preserve your impressions? Probably, but it's different for everyone. The only common denominator is the camera--obviously, you have to have one of those! But it doesn't have to be any particular brand or type. If you have something already that suits you, my advice is, "Use it!" If not, here are some suggestions for getting started with travel photography.

        Before your enthusiasm gets the better of you, and you are tempted to rush off to the nearest camera store or Best Buy, and throw your photographic fate into the hands of a salesperson, take some time to think about your personal style as a photographer. Do you prefer to be able to stick a tiny digital in your pocket, or would you see a fancy pro model with lenses for every situation appealing? How much time and effort do you want to spend on taking pictures during your travels? Would you enjoy patiently setting up your camera on a tripod to get just the perfect shot of that sunset, or is it ok if the photo of the sunset is just streaks of color, as long as you remember the fun you had taking it? Do you want a piece of equipment that is state-of-the-art, or one that you won't mourn if it falls into a canal in Venice? Most travelers are somewhere in between. So, first, take your photographic temperature, and decide where you want to start.

     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment