Tuesday, December 21, 2010

36 hours in the City of Love

Every time I come to Philly I always wonder why I don't do this more!  It's an easy hour and a half train ride from NYC and such a great city to visit.  Some quick travel tips and then more throughout this week on all the cool stuff we are doing (and eating, and drinking!) while we are here.

Where to stay:

Rittenhouse square is in my opinion one of the loveliest parts of town.  About 2 blocks by 2 blocks, Rittenhouse Square is one of the five original open-space parks planned by William Penn during the late 17th century in central Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  There are lovely restaurants and bars all around the area (which I'll write more about as the week goes on).  And it is walking distance to Independance Mall Historic Area.  There are a few nice hotel options in the area. The one we chose was Rittenhouse 1715, which is on a little street just off the park.  It used to be a bed and breakfast and since being renovated it is now a luxury boutique hotel with about 25 rooms. 
The concierge, Marion, called me a few days before the trip to ask if I needed anything of wanted to have anything set up in the room when I arrived.  I told her our itinerary and she printed out directions for us to the places we were going.  The staff is all incredible lovely.  And there is a wine reception nightly, which is a big  plus in my book.  Unfortunately, it was only white wine, and it's freezing and windy out so if I were to suggest anything it would be that red wine is nicer to drink by the fire in the middle of winter, but I shouldn't really be complaining about free wine :)

Coming up later this week I'll write more about  restaurants and sights, but I'm hooked on this neighborhood.  I'd definitely recommend it, and Rittenhouse 1715 as a great place to stay.  It's a little pricy but worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment