Friday, January 7, 2011

Alma 33

Imagine a culinary combo of Italian and Argentinean.  Sounds good doesn’t it?   Go to Alma 33 and taste how delicious that combination can be.  The chef, Enrico Primarti,  is from Florence and spent time studying cooking in Argentina.  The combination is delicious and you will be delighted with every bite.

Alma had a soft opening last week featuring only items off the tapas menu.  They opened this week for dinner and will be serving lunch beginning the week of January 10th.  The wine list by the glass is lovely featuring mostly Spanish wines.  I had the Priorat and it was a great value.  We then moved on to Tapas.  The Tartaf de terriera (beef Tartar) with a  raw quail egg is out of this world.  

The portion was huge, although I must say I could have eaten it all night long.  We then moved on to the Sardines on a crostini with goat cheese and pistachio cream that was possibly my favorite thing we ate all night.  

They were fresh, not too salty and none of the flavors overpowered the others.  We then tried two different types of empanadas, the chicken and the short rib.  We finished our meal with a delicious vanilla panacotta with a raspberry sauce that was so light that I didn’t feel once ounce of guilt.

The prices are right, the deco is sophisticated and beautiful and the food is sublime.  It is great for groups or just a quiet drink with a friend.  Go and experience all the flavors that happen when Italy meets Argentina.  It can really be quite something.
Alma
33 West 8th St. between 5th and 6th

2 comments:

  1. Thank You for the wonderful comments. We really appreciate the fact you had a wonderful experience with us. There was a lot of thought in making sure everyone that is our guest at Alma 33 has a fantastic experience. Just a couple of corrections I would like to make. The restaurant is Argentinean with influence of Spain and Italy. The chefs name is Enrico Primarti. Again thank you for all your kind words and we look forward to having you again as our guest here at Alma 33.







    Richard Lusardi
    Owner/Operator

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchase a Groupon Deal for my Parents for the Holidays at Alma 33. I was really excited about having them go into the city with friends and dine here because they don't do it very often. They are actually there now and I'm a little sad. Not being to familiar with nyc they got lost and arrived a little late..My dad just called that they wont seat them anywhere but the bar. The hostess is not even trying to be remotely accommodating. I worked in the restaurant business as well and regardless of how busy we were, we would at the least tell our guests we would see if any of the upcoming reservations ran late and I'd try to squeeze them into a table. This hostess clearly doesn't realize that 50% of the job of running a good restaurant is trying to be as nice and accommodating to your guests. While i know it's unfair to have given my parents someone else's table would not be completely fair either, I just wish the hostess would have at least made it seem like she would try and see if there was anything she could do. It would have made all the difference. I don't foresee my parents wanting to dine into the city again, because part of the reason that they don't go into the city is because they say staff isn't as welcoming. This experience will not help me convince them other wise, and I'm so bummed about it. My parents are in there 60's and they are there now with 2 other friends and they are sitting at the bar side by side eating a 3 course meal. urghhh...word to the wise...NEVER be late for your reservation or your experience might be flushed down the drain.

    ReplyDelete