Wednesday, January 26, 2011

There's no place like home

For the last few years I have spent much of my time in Boston taking care of my mom who has Alzheimer's.  Things are a little more settled and I am now getting back out there enjoying New York again.  In a way, I am rediscovering some place that I haven't been to in a while, much like a tourist.  Last night I went to Brooklyn Academy of Music and it was like visiting an old friend.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed seeing theatre there.  I don't think there is a bad seat in the house.  I sat in the rear mezzanine and my ticket was $25.  I am trying to keep to a budget so that I can get out there and see and do more, so $25 is right up my alley.  It was a great seat and I got to see Fiona Shaw, Alan Rickman and Lindsay Duncan on stage together doing a production of John Garbriel Borkman.  There are not too many places where you can see that kind of cast together on stage.  What an amazing treat!  Next up they are doing Diary of a Madman with Geoffrey Rush.  Last year they had Cate Blanchett in Streetcar Named Desire with her company.  


BAM brings in mounted productions from the RSC, The Abbey and many other overseas companies to their stage.  So unless you happen to be in London or Dublin or Sydney, this is your chance to see it.  What I also like is that is accessible to most people.  Unlike Broadway where the lowest ticket price can be as high as $75 (and for that you are sitting in the nosebleed section with not a great view) their lowest ticket is $25 and because it's an intimate theatre there is no bad seat.  If you haven't been out to BAM, treat yourself.  It's worth the trek, even for Upper West Siders like myself.  Tomorrow I will tell you a great place you can go before or after the show for dinner or drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment