Thursday, January 13, 2011

A perfect place to warm away the winter blues

According to the farmer's almanac, we are in for a long cold winter here in NYC.  So that probably means that you are going to want to have lots of hot beverages to keep you warm.  I have the perfect place for you.  Whether you are looking to have a cup of tea, lunch, a scone or a high-tea menu without all the fuss (and the price tag) of the plaza, go to Alice's Tea Cup.  Nestled into a downstairs restaurant is this absolutely charming, upper west side gem that is still a little bit of a secret I'm glad to say.


Their tea menu is quite extensive and they have every tea imaginable.  The menu has great descriptions of each kind of tea, so that by the time you leave you actually have a better idea of what the differences between all the teas are.  I had the coconut/vanilla, which is a Rooibos tea, otherwise known as an African red bush tea.  It was fantastic.  My server recommended this one, and what a great suggestion it was.


I decided that I would go all out and get "the nibbler".  For $23 you get a pot of a tea of your choice, a scone, one sandwich (not a half mind you) and a plate of cookies.  The menu clearly states that "the nibbler" is just for one, and there is no sharing.  They also have a version that you can share, but as I was by myself, it wasn't an issue.   I chose the pumpkin scone.  It was served warm with cream and jam and it was scrumptious.  I am not sure I remember ever eating a scone that was that warm, but I definitely recommend it.  I think it might have just come out of the oven!  YUM!!  I had the chicken sandwich with granny smith apple and goat cheese on seven grain bread, also amazing and the bottom layer of my tier was an assortment of cookies.  My favorite was the double chocolate cookie.  It was an indulgence well worth every bite.  


The service is fantastic and the place itself is just adorable.  The food taste like it just came out of my grandmother's kitchen.  (She was an amazing cook)  They sell all their teas by the ounce in the front where you can also purchase their scone cookbook or teapots, or even take home a cookie or piece of cake for later. I can't recommend this place highly enough.  It is one of my favorite little spots on the upper west side.  There are very few lunch or tea places I have come across that are as unique as this.   It's cold outside New York, but it's cozy and warm at Alice's Tea Cup.
They have 3 locations:
102 West 73rd
156 East 64th
220 East 81st
212-734-4tea

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I was your server yesterday and I just wanted to say that it was a joy having you! I hope you'll come back and see us soon. :)

    ReplyDelete