Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Happy Hour in NYC

Happy Hour is a fantastic invention.  I personally love it even more when I can get it at a cute little wine bar right on my corner.  The Tangled Vine on 81st and Amsterdam offers Happy Hour daily from 5-7 pm.  They offer wines for $7 a glass and the selection is constantly changing.  With your wine is served homemade potato chips with paprika and sea salt that are not only too good not to eat, but also very addictive.  You may just find yourself ordering more once the happy hour ends like I did. 
The Tangle Vine
 The Tangled Vine is a cozy little wine bar on the upper west side that serves a great selection of old world wines.  Most of their wines are moderately priced, but if you feel like having a treat you can order something off the reserve list.  (Yes they have reserves by the glass)  It is a casual, relaxed atmosphere with great, friendly service.  They also have a lovely small menu with everything from apps like pork belly sliders and mussels, to risotto and veal meatballs and of course no wine bar would be complete without a selection of meats and cheeses.  My friend had the endive salad with feta and pear that was superb.  
Endive and pear salad

I opted for the Beet Salad with goat cheese and crushed almonds.  It was not only a substantial portion but also one of the best beet salads I have ever had.  
Beet and goat cheese salad - look at the size of that!

I also had the steamed mussels with saffron, Pernod and fennel.  They were delicious!  The sauce was almost a dish in and of itself.  
Mussels with Saffron and Pernod

They try and use local and sustainable food whenever possible and in my opinion, you can really taste the difference.   The Tangled Vine is a great wine bar to have in any neighborhood, but I’m sure glad it’s in mine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment