Thursday, February 24, 2011

Joe’s Pub


In addition to writing this blog and being an actress, I am also a bartender here in New York City.  I often get asked where to go and see live music, and on the list of places that I recommend is Joe's Pub.  Joe's Pub is fantastic for several reasons.  First, it is really eclectic; you are going to get shows that run the gamut from Rock and R and B, to Folk and Jazz to Drag Shows.  There is almost nothing that you can’t see there.  As a performer, I know that you have to be fairly well established with great reviews from past shows to even be considered for a booking.  In other words, it is a really competitive venue to get your act into, so you are going to see a great show. 

Second, the venue itself is a great place to see a show.  It is very intimate.  It has the feel of a downtown cabaret space with tables in the front, lounge-like booths with cushions and then there is the bar area behind that.  There is a $12 minimum (which you can have in either food or drink) and the ticket prices vary, but are usually pretty reasonable.   

I was there on Tuesday night for Dominic Sinesio’s CD release show.  He had a six-piece band and two back-up singers and boy was he fantastic.  A friend had told me about him and we went to the show together and it was amazing.  The last show I saw there was my friend Jesse Tyler Ferguson doing his one-man cabaret show.  He is so funny I could watch him read the telephone book.  The two shows could not have been more different, but both immensely enjoyable. .  I saw in their line-up for March that Steve Martin and his band are performing there.  I didn’t even know Steve Martin had a band!  This is why I love Joe’s Pub.  If you are looking for some live music check out Joe’s Pub to see what they have going on.  You might get to see Steve Martin or Amy Winehouse, or you might just discover someone new that you can’t wait to tell your friends about.
Joe's Pub at The Public Theater
425 Lafayette St.
212-967-7555

No comments:

Post a Comment